Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Tips 101: Need a cellphone in Korea?

I use my Hawaii phone here in Korea. If you have T-Mobile as your service provider, they allow data roaming and text messages in 200+ countries I believe. South Korea is one of them!! So good news for those of you who have T-Mobile. 

I didn't buy any data plan or created a phone number here in Korea. I just use my Hawaii number for text messaging friends back home and internet data to communicate with the people here. Majority of the people will use Katalk (aka Kakao, a free chat messaging app). Katalk uses data to send messages and you can also make free calls as long as you're connected to data or wifi. I saved so much money from opening a phone account here. Only downside is that I can't make calls. T-Mobile charges for every minute of phone calls. I mainly use Katalk to call my friends. And don't worry, Korea has free wifi almost everywhere, like cafes, restaurants, etc. Just have to ask the servers if they provide wifi for customers!

So check with T-Mobile if your plan provides international data roaming and messages. If you don't have T-Mobile, the dorm building has "Olleh" which is a phone service provider. You can buy minutes and data from them, as well as rent a phone for the semester. I think it is pretty pricey though.. You can always bring an unlocked phone to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment